Word Ladders - Great Literacy Game!

I love using games in the classroom and this is one that is easy to prepare, easy to learn and great for making kids think about spelling and letter patterns.

The game is word ladders and all you need to play is a whiteboard or somewhere for children to make a list of words.  
 
Word Ladders can be a game for 2 players or 2 teams or it can be a challenge to give individuals.
Start with a simple 3 or 4 letter word and players take turns to change only one letter to make a new word.
A word can't be repeated in a game. The game ends when a player can't make another word.
This game can also be played by the whole class with the class divided into 2 teams.

 
A great challenge for individuals is to give them a start word and ask them to make a word ladder that is as long as possible in a given time. Children can compete to see who can make the longest word ladder.

 
Here are some words that you might use to start the word ladder.
Easy game - cat, pet, pig, hot, bug.
Getting harder - time, name, line, rose.
More challenging - meet, moon, band.
 
This game is similar to the Word Change games in 2 of my phonics games collections.
 
   

   
In the Word Change games in this set, the players take turns to place a letter card over a letter on the board. Great game to make them really think!
 
There are also some CVC Word Change games in

   
 
Hope the kids enjoy playing the Word Ladders Game! 
 

12 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am a Instructional Coach and I love the games that you have on your site. I would like to use your Word Ladders Game at a parent literacy meeting, with your permission. I will give full credit to your site with a link in the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie,
      Thanks for your message. Please feel free to use this game at the parent literacy meeting! I am glad you like this game and can see the value of it! :)
      With thanks,
      Teresa

      Delete
  2. The wow classic tbc gold is significantly liked by online players within the game, yet each game lover would like to acquire gold without carrying out any pursuit. It is feasible to acquire tbc gold without carrying out any activity with the assistance of the MMOGAH website. With the help of this unique tbc gold mining site, an individual can attain more information regarding wow classic tbc gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People can utilize new world coins to master innovative skills and obtain quite a few items in the nw coins overall game. Together with MMOGAH, online players grab the new world coins rapidly and firmly. By utilizing this excellent site, someone can attain more information about new world coins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A video gaming supporter can conveniently grab wow classic tbc gold via a number of ways, like farming material, grinding mobs, and undertaking missions, but most avid gamers favor to receive gold via the MMOGAH platform. When you pay a visit to this site, you can receive a lot more specifics about wow classic tbc gold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Online players obtain many items in the game by using the classic wow gold, such as, potions, gear, enchantments, plus more. It is also much easier to raid and level up by using gold within the game. If you pay a visit to this amazing https://www.mmogah.com/wow-classic-gold site, you can acquire more and more information about classic wow gold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is less complicated for anyone to attain Path of exile currency immediately through the help of the MMOGAH website. MMOGAH helps every individual to receive the currency through protected delivery techniques. By utilizing this site, anyone can get more understanding about the Path of exile currency.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot. 한국야동

    Please visit once. I leave my blog address below
    야설
    일본야동

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. 한국야동

    Please visit once. I leave my blog address below
    야설
    한국야동

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very useful information shared in this article, nicely written! I will be reading your articles and using the informative tips. Looking forward to read such knowledgeable articles 야동

    Please visit once. I leave my blog address below
    국산야동
    일본야동

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. 국산야동

    Please visit once. I leave my blog address below
    한국야동
    국산야동

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. 한국야동

    Please visit once. I leave my blog address below
    야동
    일본야동

    ReplyDelete